In-Tank toilet cleaners (also known as drop-in toilet cleaners) offer people the opportunity to avoid cleaning their toilets by hand, which is a very tempting prospect. However, despite how convenient using an in-tank toilet cleaner can be, in many cases, their short-term benefits are outweighed by the problems they can cause you down the road.
Should I Use an In-Tank Toilet Cleaner?
In most cases, it is not a good idea to use an in-tank toilet cleaner. As convenient as it is, it could lead to plumbing issues in the future. Here are a few of the plumbing problems that using a drop-in toilet cleaner can cause:
- Damage Parts – The chemicals in drop-in toilet cleaners can damage your toilet’s parts over time. In-tank toilet cleaners are especially an issue for rubber and plastic toilet components, making them brittle, deforming them, and causing them to need to be replaced sooner than normal.
- Cause Leaks – As the in-tank toilet cleaners wear down your toilet and plumbing system’s parts, it can lead to leaks developing.
- Flushing Issues – If the drop-in toilet cleaners damage your toilet’s flushing valve, it can result in your toilet flushing improperly, which could lead to other plumbing problems and/or expensive repairs.
- Cause Clogs – In some cases, pieces of in-tank toilet cleaners can break off and get stuck in your pipes. If this happens enough times, it can lead to clogs forming.
- Dangerous Fumes – Once drop-in toilet cleaners are placed in your toilet, they begin releasing dangerous fumes that can be especially problematic for those with respiratory issues, such as asthma. In addition, the fumes can cause skin irritation and other health problems.
Bottom line, while it may not be your preferred method, cleaning your toilet by hand is still the best way to keep it clean without causing plumbing problems.
Our Experienced Plumbers Can Help with Toilet Repair and Maintenance
Smith’s Plumbing Services is one of Memphis, Tennessee’s premiere plumbing repair and maintenance providers. We have been helping residential and commercial customers in Memphis and its surrounding areas with plumbing services for over 10 years. Our plumbers are experienced, knowledgeable, skilled, and reliable. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and as our reviews prove, customer satisfaction is our top priority.
Call us at (901) 290-1110 or reach out to us online today to discuss your plumbing problems with our experienced plumbers. We are available for plumbing emergencies 24/7. Ask us about our upfront pricing and discounts!