Replacing your home’s plumbing is a huge decision, so if you decide to do it, you better be sure it’s the right choice. Generally, if your home is older, and you’re having constant plumbing problems, you may need to replace your house’s piping sooner rather than later. This is especially true if your home was built in the 1970s or earlier. That’s because galvanized piping was popular during that era, and it is prone to corrode as it ages.
Even if your home was built after the 1970s, you may need to re-pipe your house at some point. Usually, when plumbing problems begin stacking on top of one another, that’s when you’ll know. However, there are ways you can tell if your home needs to be re-piped sooner than that.
How to Tell It’s Time to Re-Pipe Your House
There can be multiple reasons for a plumbing problem, so it’s not always easy to tell if you’re having plumbing issues simply because you need new pipes. However, it’s still good to know the signs to look for in case that’s the reason.
The following are signs that can help you tell if it’s time to re-pipe your house:
- Noisy Pipes – When pipes are older and need to be replaced, they often make creaking and knocking noises. These noises are not just annoying, they are also a sign that your pipes are wearing down and possibly damaged.
- Smelly Water – As your pipes deteriorate, they will begin to make the water that passes through them smell and taste bad. The more the pipes deteriorate, the worse the water will smell and taste.
- Discolored Water – When pipes deteriorate and corrode, they can discolor the water that passes through them. Commonly, due to rust, the water can turn reddish. Usually, at least early on, the color is most noticeable when a water faucet is first turned on.
- Corroded Pipes – Although it can be hard to see in some cases, corrosion, particularly rust, is a definite sign that pipes need to be replaced.
- Pipe Leaks – If you’re only dealing with one or two leaky pipes, you may not need to replace your home’s plumbing. However, if you have several pipe leaks, especially if combined with corrosion, discolored water, and bad smelling water, it is probably a sign that you need to re-pipe your house.
Speak with Our Experienced Plumbers Today
If you need your home re-piped, you’re in the right place. For more than a decade, Smith’s Plumbing Services has been a staple in Memphis, Tennessee and its surrounding communities. That’s because we provide service our customers can count on. We are A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau, and our plumbers are highly-trained, skilled, and reliable. We handle a wide range of plumbing needs, including installation, repair, and maintenance. Plus, if you’re worried about price, we offer upfront pricing, so you don’t have to worry about surprise fees.
For more information about re-piping, or to discuss your situation with our plumbing experts, call us at (901) 290-1110 or reach out to us online today. We’re available 24/7 for plumbing emergencies.