2021 is just around the corner, and at Smith’s Plumbing Services, we think we speak for everyone when we say that we are ready to put the many challenges of 2020 behind us as soon as possible. However, while you may not be able to control everything that happens in 2021, you can at least make improvements to your daily life, including practicing better homeownership. In that spirit, keep reading to learn our top five plumbing resolutions for the new year.
- No More Using Liquid Drain Cleaners: Ask any plumber that knows what they’re doing, and they’ll tell you that using liquid drain cleaners can actually make your pipes worse over time. Not only are store-bought drain cleaners often ineffective, and just sit on top of clogs rather than eating through them, they also contain harsh chemicals that may eat away at your pipes. If you’re dealing with a serious blockage, call our experts for professional drain cleaning instead. And while we’re talking about your drains, you can also help them function better by…
- No More Shoving the Wrong Things Down the Drain: To reduce clogs in the bathroom, install drain catchers to reduce the amount of hair and soap scum build-up in your sink and shower. In the kitchen, meanwhile, make sure you are not putting the wrong things down the garbage disposal. This includes all grease, fats and oils, heavy starches, fibrous vegetables, nuts, seeds, and pits, fruit rinds and skins, coffee grounds, eggshells, and any bones. Basically, avoid putting anything other than light food waste in your garbage disposal—remember, this device may have the word “garbage” in it, but it’s not supposed to be a second trash can.
- No More Flushing the Wrong Things Down the Toilet: Speaking of putting the wrong things in the wrong place, the other area this tends to happen in your plumbing system is the toilet. In 2020 alone, we saw a deluge of evidence demonstrating the devastating effect that so-called “flushable” wipes and other improper materials have on residential and municipal plumbing equipment. This includes products like paper towels, cotton balls, tampons, and pads—pretty much anything other than good old-fashioned toilet paper. Bottom line: if it’s not waste or TP, you probably shouldn’t be flushing it down your toilet—no matter how “flushable” the label says it is.
- No More Avoiding Basic Maintenance: There are simple tasks every homeowner can do around the house to help their plumbing system function better. This includes tasks like winterizing your plumbing for cold weather, flushing out your water heater on an annual basis, and replacing hoses on washing machines and dishwashers. Of course, if you really want your plumbing to function better and last longer, the best resolution you can make is—
- No More Waiting to Call a Plumber: From your kitchen to your bathroom, the key to taking care of all your main plumbing problems is speed. Waiting to call for a plumber can cause burst pipes, sewage leaks, or even flooding. Fortunately, you’ll never have to worry about these issues again with Smith’s Plumbing Services on your side. Our expert plumbers are highly trained and experienced in order to get the job done ASAP. And with 24/7 emergency appointments, there’s never a bad time to call Smith’s Plumbing Services.
Dial (901) 290-1110 anytime to schedule a repair or click here to request service online. And from everyone here at the Smith’s Plumbing Services family to you, have a happy and safe new year.