Whether it’s taking a shower, using the toilet, or doing your laundry, one of the most important and frequently used parts of your home is your plumbing system. When an issue occurs in your plumbing, it can cause extreme inconvenience in your household. Even the most minor problem can be a telltale sign of major complications to come.
To avoid dealing with plumbing issues in the future, the following are tips to ensure your system is in working, effective order:
- Understand how your plumbing system functions. In order to properly maintain your home plumbing, you must know exactly where your pipes are located. Stud sensors which can detect pipes are found at most hardware stores. Another important thing is to know where the shut-off valve for your plumbing is and how to use it when an emergency occurs that requires you to turn off your water supply immediately.
- Inspect your home for leaks. Leaks can be an indication of bigger problems in the future. Also, leaks can cause an ample amount of water to be wasted, as well as dollars. The best way to check for leaks is to locate your water meter, check the number prior to calling it a night when everyone is finished using the water for the day, and then check it again the following morning before anyone uses any water. If the number is higher in the morning, a leak can be a plausible explanation.
- Maintain your drains. Have your sewage or storm drains inspected and cleaned by a professional at least once a year or after a heavy storm. A malfunction can result in costly repairs and even full-on replacement.
- Keep your hot water tank in good condition. Check your hot water tank once every six months to make sure it’s running at peak efficiency. The typical lifespan of hot water tanks are about 12 years. However, they may experience leakers or other issues prior to their expiration date.
- Understand when to leave it to the professionals. When a simple plumbing job turns into a complicated mess, it’s time to have a licensed plumber take a look and fix the situation, returning comfort to your home.
For more information about how we can help fix your plumbing problem, contact Smith’s Plumbing Services today!